The historic Llanrhos Old School, built in 1822, last functioned as a school in 1898.
Over the past years the fabric of the building had deteriorated significantly. The Old School is a listed building and an important part of our local history and development – which without major investment would fall into disrepair and be lost to the community.
In October 2009, the Vicar, Rev. Prebendary Bob Griffiths brought together a group of volunteers, who started to research the availability of grant aid and other funding required to carry our this vital work costing £200,000.
Major funding boost
Llanrhos Old School Project Group received a major boost in attaining their goal to restore and refurbish the historic Llanrhos Old School when the Welsh Assembly Government announced they had been successful in their application for a £100,000 grant. The award made under the Community Facilities and Activities Programme meant the Group edged closer to raising the £250,000 estimated building costs.
The Project, which had marvelous support from the community, Conwy Town Council and Conwy County Borough Council, has progressed significantly since the Group of volunteers first came together in October 2009. The final plans were approved by the Local Authority, Listed Building consent granted and detailed specifications were drawn up.
Through their own fundraising events and the generosity of the community they raised over £5,500 in just over 6 months. Individual members of the community organised events, generously donated money and the Mayor of Conwy, Cllr. Vicky Macdonald was also actively involved in raising money.
The local enthusiasm for the new Centre for the Community is exemplified by the award winning Maelgwyn Male Voice Choir under the direction of their conductor, Trystan Lewis. The choir volunteered to perform a concert at the Llandudno United Welsh Church on Sunday 8th May 2010 in aid of the Restoration Fund.
Building work completed at Llanrhos Old School